Thursday, April 10, 2008

I LOVE my new studio!

I must admit initially I didn't understand all the hoopla over photo studios and their benefits. And I certainly couldn't understand spending so many lindens on such a device. I mean some fo these things go for upwards of $L5000. Do you realize how many hairs, dresses, or even textures (mmmm textures) that could buy? I mean to spend that for something SL already provides and so many beautiful backdrops from so many sims? Well I broke down and found a studio for $L300 and thought "Eh why not? Think of it as a gadget test." And besides they offered a trade in for when an update was completed. It was a bit clunky to use and it took 41 prim. But it was a bit cool. Went at one point to take the update, but I couldn't get it to work and never could get the creator to respond to messages I left so I chalked it up to a learning experience.

Well time went by and I shutterbugged my way around SL. But sometimes my pictures looked flat or just not 'sparky'. I never gave a studio much thought until I took a class to learn how to make textures, and in process learned a bit on how to work with photos and image manipulaton software, like adobe photoshop pro, GIMP and the like. Well the studio bug hit again for the ability to enhance the base picture in order to manipulate it further.

About 2 weeks ago or so, I was discussing with my SL husband my new 'itch' for a studio and he was so sweet and while I was using SL's search engine, he was using SLexchange, aka slex in our house, to give me some ideas where to go. At almost the same time we found one called SERENADE Photo Studio. Well I went to look at the store in world. Let me just say I was quite impressed. The pose stand was separate purchase but even together, their price was well under some of the other high end makers and did you notice that 13 prim? Oh let me add that the pose stand is 4 prim. So overall it's 17 prim. Prim are almost as tasty as textures and I value every one of mine. I hate to have something of 80+ prim taking up decorating prim or prim available for me to build. I was sold. I even bought a couple of background packs of some great shots around SL to save on 'gas' getting there. Ok fine, cause I wanted to try this baby out and all it's cool stuff, and it was a lame attempt to be funny, but I digress.

I have to say as far as gadgets or tools, it is one of the easiest, coolest ones I've used yet. The options are customizable for the shot and the HUD's make short work of setting up. Instructions are clear and concise and we were taking pictures almost immediately.

This was well worth the investment even if I was once a 'smirker' at the idea of such an item.

PS... It appears the creator of SERENADE has moved his listings to OnRez if you wish to browse his items on the web.


And since I am such a shortcut taker, let me paste here what it advertises its features to be:

------------
FEATURES
------------

Designed from the beginning for Windlight!
Studio and HUD are COPY/MODIFY.
Automatic, FREE UPDATES for life!
Photograph your subject alone or in GROUPS!
6 Lights for total lighting control.
12 Lighting Presets for inspiration.
Fog, Steam, Rain, Snow, and Bubbles particle effects.
7 Backgrounds Included, add your own.
Separate colors for the Background, Ceiling, and Floor.
Full featured HUD doubles as a status indicator.
Transfer version of the HUD for friends included.
Communication channels are notecard configurable,
Major functions accessible via chat commands.
Only 13 prims.


2 comments:

Arcadian Vanalten said...

Oh, good grief. She's been unleashed on the world equipped w/ a camera and a studio. I shudder to think of what her shutter will catch...

Olivia Cascabel said...

/me rolls her eyes at her punny lil' brother....